- 12 med. apples (mix of sweet and tart)
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 tbsp whole clove
- 8-10 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- opt: 1 tsp whole allspice,1 whole nutmeg, 1″ fresh ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a stockpot. Cover with water leading 1-2 inches of space at the top.
- Turn on high heat. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce to med-low heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours (or until apples are completely soft).
- Mash apples and oranges with a wooden spoon/masher. Then cover and simmer for 1 more hour
- Strain the solids out using a strainer/cheesecloth.
- Sweeten to taste, and serve warm! Refrigerate up to 5 days; freeze up to 3 months.